Friday 21 June 2013

Starting Point: My 1001 Books Reading Challenge

52 DOWN ..... 949 TO GO!! Yes, this is an ambitious challenge, but I'm one determined reader. I'll get there ..... just not sure when. As of today, I have read the following 52 books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. Books are listed in order of how they appear in the book (front to back), not in order of when they were read. I've been incredibly ruthless too!! If I can't remember reading a book, but think I have, I have to read it again. For example, I'm pretty sure I read Around the World in Eighty Days as a kid, but I can't remember it very well, so it doesn't count. Same goes for books I think I may have read, but am unsure whether I just saw the movie instead. Any words of encouragement to help me on my journey are welcome!!

Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)
Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
Mansfield Park (Jane Austen)
Emma (Jane Austen)
Persuasion (Jane Austen)
Northanger Abbey (Jane Austen)
Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
Agnes Grey (Anne Bronte)
Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Bronte)
North and South (Elizabeth Gaskell)
Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll)
Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
Middlemarch (George Eliot)
Far From the Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
Tess of the D'Urbervilles (Thomas Hardy)
The Turn of the Screw (Henry James)
A Room with a View (E M Forster)
The Great Gatsby (F Scott Fitzgerald)
Cold Comfort Farm (Stella Gibbons)
Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier)
The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
The Outsider (Albert Camus)
Animal Farm (George Orwell)
Nineteen Eighty-Four (George Orwell)
The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway)
The Lord of the Rings (J R R Tolkien)
To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (John Le Carre)
In Cold Blood (Truman Capote)
Chocky (John Wyndham)
Portnoy's Complaint (Philip Roth)
Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)
A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
Possession (A S Byatt)
Wild Swans (Jung Chang)
The Secret History (Donna Tartt)
The Shipping News (E Annie Proulx)
Enduring Love (Ian McEwan)
The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy)
Veronika Decides to Die (Paulo Coelho)
Disgrace (J M Coetzee)
The Ground Beneath Her Feet (Salman Rushdie)
Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waiting for your thoughts...