Thursday 29 November 2012

The Book Lover's Storage Box That Inspired An Epitaph

About once a month I venture out of my office to restock the bookstore shelves. Most of my book buying travels take me directly into people's homes and quite often I find myself being offered more than just books to purchase. Vinyl records, DVDs, CDs and videos are the usual bonus offerings, most of which I refuse, but occasionally something more interesting pops up. Last week I was given the opportunity to purchase a home made storage box that featured the title and author of the maker's favourite books. Even though it was a bit knocked around this kind of one-off creation was right up my alley, so for just $5 AUD I couldn't refuse.

The book titles featured are The Golden Bowl, Gone With the Wind, On the Road, The Lord of the Flies, Portnoy's Complaint, Native Son, Possession and A Clockwork Orange. The top of the box is a painted illustration of some books and a lamp all resting on a table. When viewed from the side the lid of the box is actually a book laying down. The most endearing feature of this little treasure chest is also one of its' major flaws. Whoever painted the titles of the books didn't do a great proofreading job and instead of painting Gone With the Wind they mistakenly painted Gone With Wind. This could very well be the perfect epitaph for my husband's grave!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Waiting for your thoughts...